marked with an asterisk * are mandatory. Of the remaining questions, ten
should be selected at random. Speech of the interviewer will be at normal
speed and clarity, with NO exaggeration.
1. What is your name please?
2. Where are you from?
3. What part of ________ are you from?
4. What is your native language?
5. How long have you been in America?
6. Do you read English?
7. Did you study English in your country?
8. How long did you study English?
9. Are you enjoying the U.S.A?
10. What do you like here?
11. Is there anything that you don't like?
12. Have you studied any other languages besides English?
13. Why do you want to learn English?
14. How many years of education have you had?
15. Do you have any hobbies? What are they?
16. Do you have any American friends to practice English with?
17. Do you work? Where?
18. What are your plans for the future?
19. Why did you come to America?
20. Do you have any questions for me?
0 no answer.
0+ telegraphic/very simple response.
1 simple, but complete response.
1+ functional and clear response.
2 somewhat elaborate, fairly clear and mostly grammatical response.
Interviewees with ten or more answers in the 1+ to 2 range or should be ready to take a written proficiency test of listening and reading skills.
Non-readers are excluded. (ref: Ques. 6)